Avoiding landfill through effective wood waste disposal and a shift in product focus
In This Series
- Assessment of the durability and engineering properties of lesser-known hardwood timber species for use in marine and freshwater construction
- Bracing for non-domestic timber trussed rafter roofs
- Cross-laminated timber: an introduction
- Environmentally responsible construction: Community wood recycling
- GD 5 How to calculate deformations in timber structures using Eurocodes
This research information sheet examines how companies altering their wood waste management and disposal processes can help increase their green credentials whilst also saving on disposal costs.
This sheet uses Input Joinery - a privately owned, 25 year old business - as a case study. After a period of growth, Input Joinery found its waste output had surpassed the point where it could be dealt with by a local poultry bedding company.
After exploring their options, Input Joinery installed a wood fuelled boiler, saving them Â£12,960 on top of the Â£8-10,000 reduction on heating costs.
- The achievement
- The wood waste problem
- Effective wood waste disposal
- Change in product focus