Flame-retardant treatments for timber products
In many situations, timber and wood-based materials may be used in their natural, untreated state. However, flame-retardant (FR) treatments extend their use to situations that demand enhanced 'reaction to fire' properties.
This Wood Information Sheet (WIS) covers treatments that may be applied to wood and wood-based products both factory and site applied to upgrade their fire performance to Euroclass B or C or National class 0, 1 or 2.
- Types of flame-retardant treatment
- Compatability of FR timber products and treatments with additional coatings
- Performance requirements
- Fire test evidence
- CE marking
This Wood Information Sheet was revised in March 2017. The key changes include:
- The description of flame-retardant treatments has been extended to include heat output, smoke and flaming droplets when tested to European standards.
- The term 'flame retardant' has been better defined to include the addition of chemicals to enhance the reaction to fire performance of wood-based products.
- Information has been added regarding new surface coating systems.
- Information on what the Declaration of Performance should include has been provided.
- Information regarding the reaction to fire has been updated following changes to the standard PDF CEN/TS 15912:2012.
Oliver Neve explains what happens to CLT during a fire, extracted from TRADA’s forthcoming book on the performance of cross-laminated timber (CLT).
Article from Timber 2017 Industry Yearbook
This Wood Information Sheet, produced in association with the UK Timber Frame Association, explains the basic principles used in meeting fire performance requirements and provides guidance to ensure that all parties involved understand their role in the design and construction of a timber frame building.
The sheet considers...
Shop fitters may be asked to demonstrate that products installed on site meet reaction to fire requirements but many are leaving it too late, says Phil Howard.
Article from the TRADA Timber Industry Yearbook 2014