Timber use for construction in the UK
In This Series
- Assessment of the durability and engineering properties of lesser-known hardwood timber species for use in marine and freshwater construction
- Avoiding landfill through effective wood waste disposal and a shift in product focus
- Bracing for non-domestic timber trussed rafter roofs
- Cross-laminated timber: an introduction
- Environmentally responsible construction: Community wood recycling
Timber use for construction in the UK is a report to inform Government about, and to assist industry in the development of timber products for the UK construction sector.
The report examines the current state of the industry paying particular attention to the sawmilling, sheets and board and wooden joinery sectors.
The reports also highlights some of the shortcomings of the industry which have led to timber's decline, as well as some suggestions as to how it can reclaim its stake in the Â£4 billion UK construction industry.
- Executive summary
- The sector in context
- The sawmilling industry
- The sheets and boards industry
- The wooden joinery industry
- Markets and intermediaries
- Conclusions and recommendations
With engineered timber becoming an increasingly prevalent component in construction, it is important for members of the construction industry to understand not only the benefits and properties of Engineered wood products, but also the different types.
With modified wood products being improved upon on a seemingly daily basis, this...
An overview of the considerations you should take into account when selecting and specifying a timber species for use in the UK. It includes colour photographs of a core selection of 50 timbers which are generally available or are commonly used in the UK, along with information on their suitability...
Recent advances in timber technology and engineering have expanded the potential of building with wood. The development of new products and component manufacturing has allowed the construction of longer spans, the erection of multi-storey timber frame buildings, the forming of compound curved surfaces, the volumetric prefabrication and modular systems and...